Friday, April 12, 2013

Footnotes

We read T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land" in one of my classes, and talked about how Eliot makes tons of references to works of classic literature, places, things he remembers hearing once, etc. The poem is very hard to read without having the exact same life and background as Eliot, so to try and bridge this gap in understanding, Eliot eventually made some footnotes. This made me think about how there are many things that I say and do that make sense (and are funny) to me because I'm referencing something, but are completely random to others.
For instance, I love Spongebob. A lot. If you know me, you might have heard a few of these gems:
Arrested Development favorites:
This one came in handy the other day when I accidentally crushed
my brother's balsa wood airplane. He's 24, so I think he's gotten
over it by now...
30 Rock:
Rocketman:
 
This is just all around the best movie
Miscellaneous:

These kids know what I'm talking about
  • "Sometimes, we take it away!"-a video of 4-year-old me yelling at Malarky because she wouldn't let me get on my bike

No comments:

Post a Comment