Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Everyone Has a Weird Medical Condition

Senior year of high school I came home from school one day and my foot was swollen. 4 years later, it is still swollen, because my lymphatic system is weak/under-developed/stupid. When I first came to college, I was worried and embarrassed about the fact that I had fat feet and had to wear old lady stockings, but soon learned that everyone has a weird medical condition. I know people with diabetes, epilepsy, chronic nosebleeds, eczema, random noncancerous lumps in their breast, irritable bowel syndrome, blank affect, schizophrenia, asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome, crazy allergies, alopecia, toe thumbs, gastric reflux, thyroid conditions, chronic staph infections, and the list goes on.

I think it is about time to admit that everyone is weird and kind of gross, and instead of judging each other, being fascinated. This same approach works for when you find unidentifiable moldy items in your fridge.

Aren't they magnificent?

No comments:

Post a Comment